Sunday 1 June 2014

SELF-PORTRAIT IN THE MIRROR



Whenever, by chance, I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I usually scowl: a high brow merges with a receding hairline; short, spikey, brown hair which, two weeks after having had it cut, becomes mousy and grows tangled strands as though my pillow meant to snatch them from me; asymmetrical, hazel eyes topped by bushy eyebrows and a one-centimetre scar on the bottom left eyelid, caused by a concussion at the soft-hearted age of three; a Roman nose featured by wide, maternal-grandmother-inherited nostrils; both temples filled with dimples, which do not represent but the mark of teenage spots; gradually bigger ears (whether I like it or not); medium-length sideboards which lead into an everlastingly ill-shaven, four-day beard, which covers a double chin and a square jaw; thick lips that enclose big, crooked incisors; a rather dark complexion that suggests a resemblance to a regular Arab’s appearance – hence purchasing some silver bracelets in Tanger turns out to be truly economical for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment