Wednesday 6 November 2013

NARRATION

Et voilà...


THE FIRST IMPRESSION SELDOM MATTERS

Experience has always been considered a kind of mastery in people’s life. People may not be somehow appropriate in situations they have not faced before. Thus when the sensible become aware of a behavioural mistake, they must try not to do it again.

During my Erasmus spell, in 2003, I paid my friend Néstor a short visit in Dublin. I arrived in the city on a spring day at 5pm and Néstor, who by that time was working, had given me his address. After some time seeking the house, there I was knocking at his door and a short, dark-complexioned, East Asian man opened it. Immediately did I think, “Poor Néstor! He must be broke; he can only afford to live with a tramp.” After introducing ourselves, he struck up a conversation. His name was Shiful and was Bangladeshi. I will always remember that he was gazing at a Michael Jackson music video in which the departed singer was characterized as a statue as he exclaimed, “I want to go to this place!” I realized that he was both naïve and enthusiastic. He showed me their house, half in ruins. They shared it with some everlasting moss. I entered their filthy, two-square-metre bathroom, the only one where you could do number two, wash your hands in the washbasin and your feet in the shower at the same time! He worked for fifteen hours a day as a chef. Not only was he hard-working, but he was also vital. He stated that he would develop his profession for a period of time, in that his ideal job was to rest free from worry.

Life teaches lessons every day. “Optimistic people make us grow old happy,” would preach my grandma. I judged Shiful by his appearance. Then I got to know a person in a million. 

No comments:

Post a Comment